Thursday, May 10, 2007

Just yesterday I had the pleasure of interviewing the manager of a truly awe-inspiring grocery store, a place that even other five-star businesses can learn from.

For instance, before our interview, a cook ran from the kitchen to the coffee counter to help me, because it was slow and there was no one in the café when I walked up.

When’s the last time someone ran to help you? I've had valets do that, but that's about it.

So I asked him what everyone always asks me: “What do you do with those customers you really just want to fire? How do you handle them?”

Without missing a beat, he said, “I hire them. Then I fire them.”

“You what?” I asked. This really was a new one to me.

“I offer them a job. I say, ‘You know, you seem to know a lot about what the customer wants. I’ll bet you could really help us improve our service.’ A lot of times they’ll take the offer. I want to show them what dealing with customers is like from the other side.

“Usually, they don’t work out, so then I get to fire them. But I’ve hired some terrific employees that way. A few are even department managers now.”

My hat is off to this innovative five-star leader. This will be my advice from now on:

“Hire them. Then fire them.”